Friday, July 10, 2015

My Top 10 TV Shows (All-Time?)

I have watched a lot of TV shows over the years. Most of them piqued my interest because of the plot or the theme (Prison Break, Scorpion), or perhaps it was something familiar (Camelot, Daredevil) or a new take on a familiar genre (Fringe, Parks and Recreation), and some that gained popularity before I got interested (Breaking Bad, Psych).
Some TV shows did not make it past the pilot with me (Battle Creek, Hostages). Other shows, I tried a few episodes but it did not get interesting enough (Continuum, Defiance) or was just badly written (Terra Nova, Touch). While a few others I have watched diligently from pilot to finale (The Mentalist, True Blood). And even some that, in my opinion, got cancelled/finished early (Hannibal, The Borgias).
I made this list, like other reviews from this blog, mainly for replayability and also for the reason that I'd like to know if this personal top ten list will still be the same in a number of years, or would some of the shows listed here be overtaken by some new revolutionary show we haven't heard of yet.
Notes: This list does not include animation and episodic comedic shows; so shows like Adventure Time, Initial D, Attack on Titan, Saturday Night Live, Whose Line Is It Anyway, and the like, even though highly replayable for me, are not included. I also did not include documentaries like BBC Horizon shows and informative mini-series like Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, although both are favorites of mine.


10. How I Met Your Mother - It was difficult to leave Friends out of this list for HIMYM but I guess both shows could have been 10A and 10B for me. I just give this show a slight edge with replayability.




9. Community - Again it was toss-up between two shows, Community and Parks and Rec. I love Parks and Rec's mockumentary style, but Community just proved to be more defining for me for two reasons: Meta! and Alison Brie.




8. Sherlock - Oh man. Amazing series. More of a feature length TV show than a series. The only knock on Sherlock is that you get to see it only three times in a year.




7. Heroes - People say that only the first season is worth watching. To me, the entire series is worth watching. I'm excited for Heroes Reborn. If you're a fan of the superhero genre, you cannot not be a fan of Heroes.




6. Doctor Who - Tardis. Daleks. Amy Pond. The 11th Doctor. Sci-fi. Fantasy. Adventure. When is Peter Capaldi's contract going to expire, anyway?




5. The Newsroom - Heart-pounding action in a newsroom? You bet. When someone asks me for a show to watch, this is what I always recommend.




4. The Walking Dead - You'll never find another show that develops their characters beautifully and masterfully.




3. Star Trek: The Next Generation - This started it for me. My affinity for all things science fiction started with this show. And this is hands down, the best Star Trek series ever.




2. Suits - Sometimes even great TV shows have an episode or two that aren't that good. Suits has NONE.




1. Game of Thrones - Ah yes. Unless you've been living under a rock, you know of this show. Unless you're Jon Snow, then you know nothing. For the watch.








Honorable Mention:
Grey's Anatomy
The Big Bang Theory
Friends
Parks and Recreation
House M.D.
Battlestar Galactica
Spartacus
Hannibal
The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Doogie Howser
The Twilight Zone
True Blood
Breaking Bad
LA Law
A-Team
Mission Impossible
*just noticed that this could be my Top 11-20 list, and so on..










Hopefuls (to crack the Top 10):
True Detective
Wayward Pines
Penny Dreadful
Tyrant
Halt and Catch Fire
Better Call Saul
Arrow/Flash - perhaps if I get around to watching them, as they come highly recommended
Mr. Robot

No comments:

Post a Comment